I am based in Palo Alto and currently working on the following:
- Currently: I focus on mobile product (iOS) product marketing, and product distribution for Swell, built by Concept.io. I’ve also been a formal consultant to a variety of venture capital firms on Sand Hill Road assisting with deal evaluation, due diligence, marketing, and special operations — those firms include General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Trinity Ventures, Bullpen Capital, GGV Capital, and a few others.
- Investing: I am currently an investor (via Haystack Fund) in the following companies: Hired (formerly DeveloperAuction), Paddle8, Instacart, Hashicorp, ExitRound, HelloFax/HelloSign, Gyft, Vnera, Burner, Coin, DoorDash, Sidebar, Bond, Envoy, Refresh, Vaurum Labs, Highlight, Mortar Data, Gliph, Grid Wireless, Navdy, 3Gear Systems, and a few other stealth companies yet to be announced.
- Public Speaking: I am happy to consider speaking or moderating at events, though I will not participate in large events that require paid registration. My personal preference is to speak at events that are small and private (and focused on a specific topic), at events where there is only one panel on a specific topic, or moderating conversations over smaller dinners.
- Media: I’ve been an official contributor to TechCrunch since January 2011, where I write a weekly column every Sunday at 10am PST and created and hosted TV show called “In The Studio,” which recently ended after 70 consecutive episodes. I’m now focusing on interviews at ”Sunday Conversations,” which will air 2x per month right here on Haywire.
- Reading List: For RSS trigger list (powered by IFTTT) of the bloggers I read religiously, click here.
- Previous lives: I’ve worked at two companies in operations in the Valley, Rexly (acquired by Live Nation) and Votizen (acquired by Causes), and been a consultant to IFTTT on mobile and platform. Before moving to the Valley in 2010, I helped start a life sciences company (Megacell) in Boston, wrote for Harvard Business Review and Knowledge@Wharton, worked for Harvard in a variety of capacities (including in India) while attending graduate school, worked in the finance field on the nonprofit side in Oakland (2002-2006), worked for the Manhattan DA, and spent one year as a professional cook and another as a professional bartender.
- Twitter: @semil | LinkedIn | @Medium, for personal writing
- Email: first.last@gmail, all preference given to brief emails under 500 characters!