I live in Palo Alto and this is my best attempt at a resume:
- Mobile Technology: Until recently, I worked on mobile product (iOS and Android), marketing, and distribution for Swell, built by Concept.io (acquired by Apple). I am currently exploring new roles in mobile technology for the rest of the year.
- Venture Capital Consulting: In the past, I have been a formal paid consultant to a variety of venture capital firms on Sand Hill Road assisting with deal evaluation, due diligence, marketing, and special operations — those firms have included General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Trinity Ventures, Javelin Venture Partners, Bullpen Capital, GGV Capital, and a few others. (Currently, I’m only consulting with GGV and Bullpen.)
- Haystack: I am currently an investor (via Haystack) in the following companies in Haystack I: Hired, Paddle8, Instacart, Hashicorp, ExitRound, HelloSign, Gyft, Vnera, Burner, Coin, DoorDash, Sidebar, Bond, Envoy, Refresh, Vaurum Labs, Highlight, Mortar Data, Gliph, Grid Wireless, Navdy**, 3Gear Systems, Weaved, Velo Labs**, Airenvy, Altspace, Golden Gate Games, LAST, BlockScore, Sigmod Labs, Cambly, Mighty, Emissary, Addy**, Narvar, Dextro, and Giphy. Haystack I is now closed! (** denotes AngelList syndicated). Great News: Haystack II is underway: Bolt; BRANDiD; Totspot; SFOX; Chain; Vessel.io; FLYR; MTailor; DatOSCloud; Unwind.me; Yo.
- Public Speaking: I am happy to consider speaking or moderating at events, though I will not participate in large events that require paid registration. My personal preference is to speak at events that are small and private (and focused on a specific topic), at events where there is only one panel on a specific topic, or moderating conversations over smaller dinners.
- Media: Previously, I was an official contributor to TechCrunch from January 2011 to April 2014 [link to column], where I wrote a weekly column every Sunday at 10am PST and created and hosted TV show called “In The Studio,” which ended after 70 consecutive episodes. Today, I write on Haywire and currently produce interviews as “Sunday Conversations,” which airs bi-monthly or so.
- Reading List: For RSS trigger list (powered by IFTTT) of the bloggers I read religiously, click here.
- Previous lives: I’ve worked at two companies in operations in the Valley, Rexly (acquired by Live Nation) and Votizen (acquired by Causes), been a consultant to IFTTT on their mobile apps and platform, and was an EIR for six months with Javelin Venture Partners in San Francisco. Before moving to the Valley in 2010, I helped start a life sciences company (MegaCell Therapeutics) in Boston, wrote for Harvard Business Review [link to my posts] and Knowledge@Wharton, worked for Harvard University in a variety of capacities (including in India) while attending graduate school, worked in the finance field on the nonprofit side (for the NCEO) in Oakland (2002-2006), worked for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, and spent one year as a cook at Bi-Rite Market off Dolores Park in San Francisco and another as a professional bartender in NYC near Gramercy Park at a bar that no longer exists. I have also spent considerable time traveling in and doing business in Asia, specifically China and India, for many years.
- Twitter: @semil | LinkedIn | @Medium, for personal writing
- Contact: I’m kindly asking people emailing with question to instead post them here. I will answer them, and the questions and answers will be public. If you need me directly, first.last@gmail, emails over 1,000 characters in length will not be returned.